Thursday, November 6, 2008

how safe is my silver?

Q: There is always a concern that gold and silver could be confiscated by the US government.
Is this possible?


A: No, there are a couple of ways to view this. During the confiscation of gold in 1933, silver was left alone. There is no formal law out there that existed for silver. Second, silver as an investment only amounts to 10% or less of the silver demand, and the government would have a hard time confiscating something that is basically an industrial commodity. I’ve been in the silver business for 30 years and I’ve always thought it was a tiny market. But until I got to the point where I’m at now, having traveled the world and talked to industry experts, from the commodities guys and the smallest mining companies and everyone in between, I hadn’t realized it’s smaller than even I imagined. It’s such a small market that the logistics of a confiscation would be a nightmare and the cost enormous per ounce and it would hardly be worth it.

No comments: